2007-12-12

Presence for Christmas

Likes: I like riding the bus.

A few nights ago on my bus ride home from campus I sat across from 3 students, 1 girl and 2 boys, presumably in their later years of high school. The boy on the right was absorbed in a video game (of the playstation sort). The boy in the middle was tenderly looking at and holding the girl's hand. The girl, with her other hand, was texting someone with her cellphone.

In the morning a day or so later, I saw the couple on the bus again. The boy was still holding her hand and looking tenderly at it, but this time in the girl's other hand she held an mp3 player. They shared the headphones and had their eyes closed. Sometimes I saw both of their mouths move at the same time to the words.

This is as close to sentimental as I'm going to get. I wrote a bunch about all the bus trips during Bronte Creek, and thought a lot about all the other ones that accurately summed up parts of my life. I tried to tell myself, "I'm allowed to be hokey, it's Christmas", but I don't know, I can get pretty cheesy for a vegan (like right there, that's what I mean). I'm sighing and squinting. It's noon and I'm in pajamas. Kristy went out to "determine her future", Suzanne is napping, S.C. is at the library with so many sandwiches, and Sarah is probably napping too, oh wait, nope, she's awake. She just came into my room, and I quote "I hate that my life is sleeping in 'til noon everyday. It's terrible". She also showed me her mummy-like toe. It's gross.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The bus story was touching, the "cheesy vegan" line was good, but where, oh where, are the old photos of ME? Why all Willy?